From: [email protected] (Brian Biddinger)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: pppd
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 01:38:58 GMT

I have been using linux Slackware 1.2.13 for some time (edition that
comes with que special edition.  I have just set up the modem (gateway
2000 telepath).

this is what i type in to start the prompt (this is in the que book
p.294
pppd connect 'chat "" atdt8958501 ogin: brianb word: be4me' \ <return>
/dev/cua0 38400 mru 296 lock debug crtscts modem defaultroute <return>

right after i dial this, it goes right back to the linux command
prompt, but i hear the modem dial, and the handshake, and then 20
seconds later i am disconnected.

Part of the problem is that i dont know what is supposed to happen.
is it supposed to go back to the command prompt? i thought i would see
a script execute and ask me to login.  Also does anyone know what the
different parts of the command i typed in mean like word, mru,296,
crtscts, and default route? i also have 95/NT4.0 and i can dial in
fine.  Any webpages or emails are greatly appreciated!!
thank you
[email protected]

This message comes to you as a service of the mph-humor list.  No
claims of real or perceived humor are offered.
Sumbissions:  [email protected]
Information:  http://mph124.rh.psu.edu/~hunt/mph-humor.html