ROM eraser

>From the Apple Tech Info Library (I found this one myself...):

Power Macintosh: Erase ROM Message (5/95)

Article Created: 12 May 19950

TOPIC -----------------------------------------------------------

I have a file called Erase ROMs in the Apple Extras folder. When I
double-click it, a dialog box appears with a message, "You are about to
initiate a process that will permanently erase your ROMs. Do you want to
continue?", and "Go for It" and "Never Mind" buttons with the second button
dimmed.

Where is this message coming from?

DISCUSSION ------------------------------------------------------

Apple shipped a Connectix utility called Connectix Destop Utilities (CDU)
with Power Macintosh computers starting in the Fall of 1994. This utility
was in the Apple Extras folder. It's purpose was to provide customers with
a more robust Energy Star solution. This dialog box is being generated from
one of the desktop pattern documents included with CDU.

In order to see this dialog you must:

1) Open the CDU folder within Apple Extras folder.
2) Open the Sample Desktop Pictures folder.
3) Extract the CDU Sample Pictures.sea file.
4) Locate the CDU Sample Pictures folder and open it.
5) Open the B/W folder.
6) Double-click the Erase ROM document.

This "dialog box" is not really a dialog box, but a document on your hard
drive which CANNOT erase the ROMs on your computer. Macintosh ROMs cannot
be erased by software running on the computer.

Eric Bennett ( [email protected] ; http://www.pobox.com/~ericb )
Cross-platform internet file format utilties at www.pobox.com/~ericb/xplat.html

The PowerPC 604 chip is by far the fastest machine we have tested NASCAR
Racing on.
-Papyrus Development Group

--
This message comes to you as a service of the mph-humor list.  No
claims of real or perceived humor are offered.