I wanna be a consultant...

==========
<[email protected]> (Jim Truswell) wrote:

I would appreciate your helping discontinue the constant Windows/PC
bashing. (It may start to hurt the Consultant/Technician community.)

Case in point.

Customer purchased two systems (Mac for office, PC for home) and signed
up with a local ISP for Internet access for both. He bought the PC
because: 1. His kids used both at school, but the teacher said the Mac is
dead. 2. The PC was about $300 cheaper. He bought the Mac because: 1. I
told him he would save money. 2. He had used Macs in the past and got
more done.

The customer arranged for me to visit his office to install the Internet
software and get him up and running on a Tuesday morning. I arrived at
9:00am, had a coffee and left (job completed) at 9:30am. This includes
installing the 3 diskettes, reading the single page of installation notes
from the ISP, and a phone call to the ISP help desk (the local dial-up
number was missing from the documentation). I charged him $37.50 (my rate
is $75.00/hr)

The customer asked me to install the home PC on a Saturday. I arrived at
10:00am and got down to work. After wading through 16 pages of
documentation, 8 installation diskettes, several rewrites of .bat and
.sys files, and 4 separate calls to the ISP help desk, I finally got his
system working. I left his home at 4:30pm. I charged him $337.50 (I
normally charge $100.00/hr on weekends, but didn't have the heart to rub
it in)

>From a business standpoint, I prefer working on PC machines. The extra
hassle of the Windows environment allows me to be able to afford to buy
new toys for my Mac.

Eric Bennett ( [email protected] ; http://www.pobox.com/~ericb )
Cross-platform internet file format utilties at www.pobox.com/~ericb/xplat.html

Drawing on my fine command of the language, I said nothing.
-Robert Benchley

--
This message comes to you as a service of the mph-humor list.  No
claims of real or perceived humor are offered.