Newsgroups: alt.sysadmin.recovery
From: [email protected]
Subject: Assumptions of Computer Store Employees
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 1997 22:04:03 GMT

Assumptions that Computer Store Employees make, that're gonna push me over
the edge one of these days:

1)  You only own, or have access to, one computer.

2)  Bricks have more computer knowledge than you.

3)  Computer Store Employees have more knowledge than you.

4)  All peripherals, accessories, cabling, etc. are platform specific.

5)  The Computer Store Employee is always right.

6)  The term "Books" or "Manuals" refers to the latest "[X] for Complete
    Idiots" guide.

7)  IDE is more popular than SCSI.

8)  SCSI is "on the way out, which is why we don't carry it."
    (I swear I just heard this last week.  From three different stores.)

9)  Memory only comes in 72-pin EDO SIMMs.

10)  Modems and Thicknet adaptors are the only two kinds of PCMCIA cards
     in existence.

11)  Connectix is the only manufacturer of desktop video camera systems.

12)  They carry BOTH kinds:  Macs AND PCs!

13)  You want an AOL CD with that.

14)  You should never, under any circumstances, open your own computer.

15)  Data on CD-ROMS are platform specific.
     "In what format are the map files on this geographical CD-ROM?"
     "What kind of computer do you have?"

...on a side note, I'm gonna start answering that with, "The kind that
would leave me with an enormous deal of satisfaction if shoved violently into
your nether orifice.  Plugged in.  With exposed, fully-charged capacitors."

---- End included message ----

---- Begin included message ----

--
Eric Bennett ( [email protected] ; http://www.pobox.com/~ericb )

Sixty-seven percent of the doctors surveyed preferred X to Y.  (Jones
couldn't be persauded.)
-John Allen Paulos
---- End included message ----

---- Begin included message ----
>From a ZDNet preview of MacOS 8:

=====
The new operating system will also include a feature called the Apple
Applet Runner, which enables it to run programs in the Java programming
language, developed by Sun Microsystems Inc., without having to download
them first.
=====

--
Eric Bennett ( [email protected] ; http://www.pobox.com/~ericb )

Get info on cross-platform tools for dealing with common Internet file
formats at http://www.pobox.com/~ericb/xplat/xplat.html