mph-humor Digest V97 #16

---- Begin included message ----
mph-humor Digest				Volume 97 : Issue 16

Today's Topics:
	 Funny or just really sad?
	 I can't believe it!  MS has a sense of humor!
	 Endian-ness
	 Theme of the week
---- End included message ----

---- Begin included message ----
Funny or just really sad?  I'm still not sure.

--
Eric Bennett ( [email protected] ; http://www.pobox.com/~ericb )

Sixty-seven percent of the doctors surveyed preferred X to Y.  (Jones
couldn't be persauded.)
-John Allen Paulos
---- End included message ----

---- Begin included message ----
The MSIE team has *numerous* April Fools press releases about its own
products.  See
http://www.microsoft.com/ie/aprilfool.asp

Headlines inclue:
Shove-It": Microsoft Expects Hot New Internet Technology to Eclipse "Push"
Microsoft Bob Comes to the Web!
New Security Bug Makes the Grade
Internet Snorer 9.0-the Browser of Your Dreams-Is Here!
The Mafia Joins Growing List of Organizations Choosing Internet Snorer

--
Eric Bennett ( [email protected] ; http://www.pobox.com/~ericb )

Apple says, 'Hey, Win 3.1 is crummy and it always was crummy.' And we say,
'No, it just
turned crummy. It was really great till Thursday [when Win95 was released].'
-Bill Gates
---- End included message ----

---- Begin included message ----
Connectix is releasing a new emulator for PPC Macs called Virtual PC which
is supposed to be able to run OS/2 and NT as well as 95 and provide
playable performance for games like Quake.  The Mac Emulation web pages
have these note about the authors:

Development team. All four principle [sic] authors have previous experience
writing emulators. Eric Traut, the project lead, wrote Apple's Dynamic
Recompiling [680x0] Emulator which now ships in the ROMs of all Power macs.
Chad Walters and Jorg Brown wrote "Speed Emulator" of Speed Doubler fame.
Mike Neil worked on "Gus", the Apple IIgs emulator.
Their Motto: "Endian Little Hate We"

--
Eric Bennett ( [email protected] ; http://www.pobox.com/~ericb )

Apple says, 'Hey, Win 3.1 is crummy and it always was crummy.' And we say,
'No, it just
turned crummy. It was really great till Thursday [when Win95 was released].'
-Bill Gates
---- End included message ----

---- Begin included message ----
For some reason people around the world seem able to choose a theme for
their questions sparked by visiting The Cross Platform Page.  The most
common weekly theme is something like:

"My friend sent me a file called FOO in a piece of email and I can't figure
out how to use it."

Those are annoying.  Much more entertaining has been the theme for the past
two weeks.  It falls into the "If I had a nickle..." category:

"I'm going to put audio on my web page and I want it to be small.  Tell me
how to turn a Wave file into a MIDI file."

And if I *did* have a nickle for everyone who's asked me that over the past
two weeks, I'd have about thirty cents.  Not much, but it would be
something...