mph-humor Digest V97 #14

---- Begin included message ----
mph-humor Digest				Volume 97 : Issue 14

Today's Topics:
	 Re: Department of Justice drops suit against Microsoft
	 Re: Apple halts Rhapsody development
	 State of Tennessee sues Microsoft
	 Apple halts development of NeXT-based OS
	 Bill Gates to leave Microsoft
	 [comp.windows.x.announce] Announcing X13 Release 2
	 Strange buzzing sound in computer mouse caused by solar wind
	 Apple Plays that Funky Music
	 [comp.security.ssh] patch for ssh-1.2.18
	 Fwd: You've got to love the press
	 (fwd) It's all in your mind
	 (fwd) HIGHER SOURCE RAISES STAKES IN INTERNET INDUSTRY
---- End included message ----

---- Begin included message ----
In article <[email protected]>, James wrote...

>SEATTLE, April 1: The Federal Department of Justice decided today
>to drop its suit against Microsoft.  Several software companies,
>most notably Corel, were outraged at the decision.
>
>At the heart of the issue is the processor utilization inherent
>in Microsoft's new Windows 98 operating system.  According to
>charges by Corel, programs that do not identify themselves to
>the system as "Microsoft Acceptable" are allocated at most one
>out of every ten processor cycles.
>
>A high level Corel exec stated, "It makes it like you're running
>a 386 instead of a 200 Mhz Pentium."
>
>Microsoft has never denied the policy.  According to one manager,
>"There's nothing wrong with using our operating system to leverage
>our applications in the market.  If other companies don't like it,
>they can either move to markets that we don't want, or they can
>code their programs for other operating systems, like OS/2, the
>Mac OS,..." (ed: at this point the manager succumbed to a fit
>of laughter).
>
>The Department of Justice found Microsoft's arguments compelling,
>adding that, "the companies involved assured their own problems
>designing applications for an operating system owned by a company
>with competing applications.  The Department of Justice found that
>there was really no case to be made."
>
>Macintosh advocate George G. observed, "It was really the only way
>Microsoft could make their apps run at speeds comparable to other
>companies' apps."
>
>James W. added, "It's gotta be an April Fools joke."
>
>(to send me e-mail, remove .nospam from the address)
---- End included message ----

---- Begin included message ----
One of my own fake press releases (to be submitted to mph humor shortly) has
now been invalidated by another fake press release.

In article <[email protected]>, Phil wrote:

>Eric Bennett <[email protected]> wrote:
>: CUPERTINO, California.  April 1, 1997.  In a dramatic and unexpected
>: move, Apple Computer CEO Dr. Gilbert F. Amelio announced this morning
>: that Apple was halting development of its upcoming Rhapsody operating
>: system but gave few details about its replacement.
>>SNIP<
>
>Sorry -- Amelio has been replaced. See the following news item:
>

>> For Release
>> April 1, 1997
>>
>> CUPERTINO, CA -- Apple Computers announced today that the company has
>> purchased naming rights to the San Jose Arena, home of the San Jose
>> Sharks hockey team.
>>
>> Apple announced that the arena will called the Mac Arena. "We know
>> that every time people say that name, they will think of us," said
>> new Apple Chairman Larry Ellison.
>>
>> Apple paid a reported $20 million dollars for the rights to control
>> the name of the arena for three years commencing April 1, 1997. "It
>> all just fit perfectly," said Ellison. "The Sharks and the Macintosh
>> are both doing really well."
>>
>> In a related announcement, Apple named O.J. Simpson spokesperson for
>> the company. "After all the bloodletting at Apple, we had to have
>> somebody the public associates with a comeback," said Ellison. "We
>> think O.J. will work in well with hockey at the Mac Arena." As part
>> of the package, Apple announced a partnership with Mr. Simpson and
>> Bruno Magli shoes. "We will have photographs of Mr. Simpson wearing
>> their shoes at VIP events in the Mac Arena," according to Ellison.
>> "The tag line will be 'For important events, it's O.J. and Bruno Magli
>> -- shoes so comfortable, you'll forget you're wearing them.'"
>>
>> SOURCE CHUMP Media Corp.
>>        -0-                    4/1/97
>>        Contact: Katy Woolover 408-555-1212
>

>--
>Phil Stripling                  |Sorry to make it difficult to reply
>The Civilized Explorer          |but you know what needs to be removed
>http://www.cieux.com/~philip/
---- End included message ----

---- Begin included message ----
MEMPHIS, Tennessee.  April 1, 1997.  The state's Attorney General
stated today that he was filing suit against Redmond, Washington,
based software giant Microsoft on behalf of the city of Memphis.
Although the lawsuit had been expected for some time, the nature of
the lawsuit came as a surprise to industry observers, who had been
expecting an anti-trust suit similar to the one recently filed by the
state of Texas.

"The charge is slander," he said.  "Microsoft has continued its
practice of code-naming its products with the names of cities.
Microsoft's code named for its upgrade to Windows 95, commonly
referred to outside of Microsoft as Windows 97, is Memphis.  Given the
utter silliness of this upgrade, which introduces nothing of true
substance but which will probably be bought in droves by consumers, we
have decided that Microsoft will have to change its code name.  Cairo
and Chicago have sustained the insults, but we intend to make it clear
that Microsoft will not get away with slandering fine cities in this
state."

Legal analysts said the case seemed unlikely to succeed.  Mr. Richard
Banks, a local attorney, pointed out that equally embarrassing
associations of Microsoft with the city of Nashville had not been
challeneged.  "The state may have damaged the legitimacy of its case
by not providing equal protection for both cities," he said.  But more
importantly, he observed that a similar lawsuit by the late astronomer
Carl Sagan against Apple Computer had failed.  "If Apple couldn't be
beaten over this issue, I don't think Microsoft will," he concluded.

These potential problems did not concern the state.  "We are convinced
that our claims are legitimate," a spokesman for the Attorney
General's office said at a press conference. "It is unfair for
Microsoft CEO Bill Gates to be able to drive down property values in
the state of Tennessee with a mere wave of his hand.  Our entire
argument is really very simple--if Microsoft lowered the property
values in your neighborhood through slander, you'd sue too."

--
Eric Bennett ( [email protected] ; http://www.pobox.com/~ericb )

Drawing on my fine command of the language, I said nothing.
-Robert Benchley
---- End included message ----

---- Begin included message ----
CUPERTINO, California.  April 1, 1997.  In a dramatic and unexpected
move, Apple Computer CEO Dr. Gilbert F. Amelio announced this morning
that Apple was halting development of its upcoming Rhapsody operating
system but gave few details about its replacement.

Dr. Amelio said, "Recent rumors have surfaced that we were actually
somewhat ahead of schedule on Rhapsody and had even begun development
as soon as the NeXT purchase looked probable.  I want to send a clear
signal today that Rhapsody will not be delivered ahead of schedule, or
delivered at all.  It was, in fact, never our intention to do so.  We
bought NeXT in order to kill its technology to keep it from being a
competitive threat, and we will return to our traditional state of
having no definable plan for a future OS."

In a separate briefing, former CTO Ellen Hancock outlined the plans
for the replacement strategy. "We have learned that most large
corporations have not upgraded to Windows 95," she said, "and we
therefore believe that in order to improve Apple's market share, we
must provide a Windows 3.1-like solution."  Apple plans to buy the
source code to Windows 3.1 from Microsoft for $400 million, she said.
Although Hancock would not commit to a timetable for delivery of the
operating system, anonymous sources inside Apple said that a
developer's release would be ready in time for the May developer's
conference.  "Granted, DR1 will probably just be SoftWindows running
on top of the current MacOS," he said, "but we think it's more
important to get something into developers' hands quickly."  According
to this source, the upcoming OS -- code-named Requiem -- will ship to
users on Feb 29, 2000.  Although some observers argued about whether
the calendar rules permit this date to exist, others were not worried,
since many PCs are expected to have problems keeping the correct date
past the turn of the century anyway, and asked, "Why worry about
February 29 when you can't even get past the first of January?"

Typical of analysts' mixed reactions were comments by Macintosh
industry observer Peter Heartsoak.  "We suspected that Apple was
simply trying to get rid of competition when it bought NeXT," he said.
"Even Dr. Amelio can't be crazy enough to really want Steve Jobs back
at Apple.  He would have preferred to get rid of Be, Inc., but their
price was too high.  Jobs is probably eager for revenge on the company
that ejected him and was willing to lower his price for NeXT to get is
malevolent foot back in the door."   Although the announcement leaves
Apple with no clear OS strategy, Heartsoak was not concerned.  "Apple
has survived the past few years without articulating a strong strategy
and will no doubt muddle through a few more, although the choice of
Requiem as the code name for the new product is somewhat disturbing,"
he concluded.

--
Eric Bennett ( [email protected] ; http://www.pobox.com/~ericb )

Drawing on my fine command of the language, I said nothing.
-Robert Benchley
---- End included message ----

---- Begin included message ----
REDMOND, Washington.  April 1, 1997.  In a telephone interview from an
undisclosed location, Microsoft CEO Bill Gates this morning announced
that he was resigning from the company he founded.  "The challenges
are all gone," he said.  "We've proven that we can simply copy better
ideas when they come along, and people will always wait for us to
catch up.  Copying other companies may bring us a lot of money, but
it's boring."  Mr. Gates admitted to one other reason for his
departure, however.  "I can't contain myself anymore.  The way
consumers have so often followed Microsoft just because it's Microsoft
has always made me want to laugh out loud.  With Windows 95, I have
been just barely able to avoid bursting out in inane laughter whenever
the product is mentioned.  But I'm afraid that when consumers scramble
to buy Windows 98, which is even less of an improvement that 95 was
over 3.1, I just won't be able to hold it in any longer, and that
could be bad for the company.  So I'm leaving now."

Microsoft officials offered no reaction except to say that they
planned to release a previously taped session of Gates laughing
hysterically later this aftertoon.  Industry analysts were not
surprised by the move.  Lem Ing, a spokesman for the Gardener Group,
said that he was impressed by Mr. Gates' self control.  "I would have
succumbed as far back as the release of Windows 3.1," he observed.
"There is a slight chance that consumers would react negatively to
being directly insulted.  Certainly given the history of the market
this is a very slim chance, but Microsoft hasn't survived this far by
taking chances.  The move is understandable."

The departure has left the future of Microsoft's leadership up in the
air. Neither Gates nor VP Steve Ballmer could be reached for further
information later this morning.  At Microsoft headquarters, the
whereabouts of the top executives was uncertain, although a security
guard said that he had overheard a conversation between Gates and
Microsoft legal counsel William Neukom in which the former CEO
mentioned "airline tickets to Uruguay for all of us."