Straight from the horse's mouth: Microsoft on Bugs

This concerns the statement supposedly made by Bill Gates that
Microsoft code "has no bugs."

In article <[email protected]>
"Rick Schaut" <[email protected]> writes:

> Eric Bennett <[email protected]> wrote in article <[email protected]>:

> > > Thank you, Eric for confirming my point.  Bill was misquoted in this
> > > forum (as happens so very often).
> >
> > Are you saying that the article misquotes Mr. Gates or that people are
> > misquoting the article?
>
> People are misquoting the article.  I also think people have very little
> clue as to what Bill was saying.
>
> At any given time, we know, based upon the calls we're getting in the
> product support group, what problems people are having with our software.
> Of all the data out there, this is probably the most accurate data in terms
> of the stability of some product.
>
> Secondly a "significant" bug is one that is relatively reproducible, and
> one which significantly impairs one's ability to use a particular feature
> or causes loss of data.  Display bugs, random crashes, problems that occur
> only if you do something for which the product was not intended or problems
> that have simple work-arounds aren't "significant" bugs.
>

> Rick Schaut
> --
> The opinions expressed in this message are my own personal views
> and do not reflect the official views of Microsoft Corporation

There you have it... random crashes are not significant problems.

His opinions may not reflect official views of Microsoft, but they sure
show up in the software he writes for them (he's one of their Mac
programmers).  :-)

--
Eric Bennett ( [email protected] ; http://www.pobox.com/~ericb )

Can you name anybody that's happy about being in the same industry with
Microsoft?
-Mitchell Kapor; founder, Lotus Development Corp.

--
This message comes to you as a service of the mph-humor list.  No
claims of real or perceived humor are offered.