[alt.sysadmin.recovery] UPS problems

From: [email protected] (Daniel M. Drucker)
Newsgroups: alt.sysadmin.recovery
Subject: UPS problems
Date: 14 Nov 1996 17:27:11 -0500

> "Your scuba regulator which you insured for $500 was lost.  A check
> for $250 will be sent to you in the mail."

This actually happened to me. The story: A few friends and I bought a
Sun 4/110 (8/0mb/headless/P4 color/type 3) on m.f.c.w.  It sat in
the corner for several months looking cool and being the *best*
bookshelf anyone'd ever seen. Nobody wanted to put in the extra money
to, say, get disk for it. Or a monitor, for that matter.

Eventually, we decided to sell it. It was sold for $350 or so, and we
shipped it via UPS, COD and insured for $400. Several weeks pass. We
discover that it had been damaged in shipment, and the buyer
discovered this damage on arrival and refused delivery. UPS, however,
would not pay our insurance claim, because we had no proof that the
Sun was actually worth $400.

We decided to stop arguing, and just get the (broken) Sun back. This
turns out to be impossible -- they "just don't work like that." We
drive to the UPS warehouse in Pittsfield, Massachusetts, and are told
-- I am not making this up -- that the Sun has been DESTROYED. Um,
*what*? Can they *do* that?

So, UPS still owes us either $400 or a Sun 4/110. I doubt we'll ever
see either.

Just for kicks, I've cc'd this to Customer Service at UPS.
I doubt they know how to read their email, however.

I wonder who [email protected] is ...

- --
		  [ Daniel M. Drucker / [email protected] ]
                    dreams windblown and scattered
                       among the grass and sand

This message comes to you as a service of the mph-humor list.  No
claims of real or perceived humor are offered.
Sumbissions:  [email protected]
Information:  http://mph124.rh.psu.edu/~hunt/mph-humor.html