NO ROM BASIC, SYSTEM HALTED

8.1 Why do I get NO ROM BASIC, SYSTEM HALTED?

This should get a prize for the PC compatible's most obscure error message.
It usually means you haven't made the primary partition bootable or, in
Microsoft-speak, 'Active'. Use FDISK to fix this. Don't fret, you won't
have to repartition or reformat anything unless you have no primary
partition at all.

The earliest true-blue PCs had a BASIC interpreter built in, just like many
other home computers those days. Even today, the Master Boot Record (MBR)
code on your harddisk jumps to the BASIC ROM if it doesn't find any active
partitions.

Needless to say, there's no such thing as a BASIC ROM in today's
compatibles, and this action ends in the above error message.
--
Gregory S. Sutter                            "How do I read this file?"
[email protected]                            "You uudecode it."

--
This message comes to you as a service of the mph-humor list.  No
claims of real or perceived humor are offered.