Microsoft Tech Support vs. Psychic Friends Network

 -----Original Message-----
 From: Bradford, Denis
 Sent: Wednesday, August 19, 1998 10:31 AM

 From:         Nina Eppes  19-Aug-1998 0947
 Sent:         Wednesday, August 19, 1998 2:46 AM
 Subject:      :-) Microsoft Tech Support vs. Psychic Friends Network

 Microsoft Technical Support vs. The Psychic Friends Network:
 Which Provides Better Support for Microsoft Products?
 by Michael Patrick Ellard and Daniel Albert Wright
 From BMUG newsletter, without permission.

 In the course of a recent Microsoft Access programming project, we had
 three difficult technical problems where we decided to call a support
 hotline for advice. This article compares the two support numbers we
 tried:

 Microsoft Technical Support and the Psychic Friends Network. As a
 result of this research, we have come to the following conclusions: 1)
 that Microsoft Technical Support and the Psychic Friends Network are
 about equal in their ability to provide technical assistance for
 Microsoft products over the phone; 2) that the Psychic Friends Net
work
 has a distinct edge over Microsoft in the areas of courtesy, response
 time, and cost of support; but 3) that Microsoft has a generally
better
 refund policy if they fail to solve your problem.

 In the paragraphs that follow, we will detail the support calls we
made
 and the responses we received from each pport provider. We will follow
 this with a discussion of the features provided by each support
 provider so that readers can do their own rankings of the two
services.

 Our research began when we called Microsoft regarding a bug that we
had
 detected when executing queries which pulled data from a Sybase Server
 into Microsoft Access. If we used the same Access database to query
two
 databases on the same server, we found that all of the queries aimed
at
 the second database that we queried were sent to the first database
 that we had queried. This problem existed no matter which database we
 queried first. Dan called Microsoft's Technical Solutions Line, gave
 them $55, and was connected with an official Microsoft Access
technical
 support person. As Dan began to explain the problem, the support
person
 interrupted him, and told him that since it was clear that it was not
 just a problem with Access but with the two programs together,
 Microsoft would not try to help us. They did,however, have a
consultant
 referral service with which he would be glad to connect us. Dan then
 asked if we could have our $55 refunded, since Microsoft was not going
 to try to answer to our question. The tech support person responded by
 forwarding Dan to the person in charge of giving refunds. The person
 officially in charge of giving refunds took Dan's credit card info
 again, after which Dan asked about the referral service. It was too
 late, however - the refund folks could not reconnect Dan with the tech
 support guy he'd been talking with, nor could he put Dan in touch with
 the referral service hotline. End of Call One.

 Our second call came when Dan was creating some line graphs in
 Microsoft Access. Microsoft Access actually uses a program called
 Microsoft Graph to create its graphs, and this program has a "feature"
 that makes the automatic axis scale always start the scale at zero. If
 all of your data are between 9,800 and 10,000 and you get a scale of 0
 to 10,000, your data will appear as a flat line at the top of your
 graph-not a very interesting chart. Since Dan was writing Visual Basic
 code to create the graphs, he wanted to be able to use Visual Basic
 code to change the graph scaling, but he could not find anything in
the
 help files that would tell him how to do this. After working with
 Microsoft Graph for a while, Dan concluded that it probably didn't
have
 the capability that he needed, but he decided to call Microsoft just
 make sure. Dan described his problem to the technical support person,
 whom we'll call Microsoft Bob. Microsoft Bob said he'd never gotten a
 call about Microsoft Graph before. He then left Dan on hold while he
 went to ask another support person how to use Microsoft Graph.
 Microsoft Bob came back with the suggestion that Dan use the online
 help. Dan, however, had already used the online help, and didn't feel
 that this was an appropriate answer for a $55 support call. Microsoft
 Bob didn't give up, though. He consulted the help files and learned to
 change the graph scale by hand and then began looking for a way to do
 this via code. After Microsoft Bob had spent about an hour on the
phone
 with Dan learning how to use Microsoft Graph, Dan asked for a refund
 since he had no more time to spend on the problem. Microsoft Bob
 refused the refund, however. He said he wouldn't give up, and told Dan
 that he would call back the next week.

 Microsoft Bob did call back the following week to admit failure. He
 could not help us. However, he couldn't give us a refund either.
 Microsoft Bob's supervisor confirmed Microsoft Bob's position. While
 Microsoft Technical Support hadn't solved our problem, they felt that
 refund was inappropriate since Microsoft Technical Support had spent a
 lot of time not solving our problem. Dan persisted, however,
explaining
 that if Microsoft Bob actually knew the program, he would have been
 able to give Dan a response much sooner. The supervisor made no
 guarantees, but he instructed Dan to check his credit card bill at the
 end of the month. The supervisor explained that if Dan saw that the
 charge was still there at the end of the month,then he would know that
 he hadn't gotten a refund. End of Call Two.

 Our third call to Microsoft involved using the standard file save
 dialog from within Microsoft Access to get a file name and directory
 string from a user in order to save an exported file. The
documentation
 didn't make it clear how to do this using Visual Basic code within
 Microsoft Access, and Dan decided to call Microsoft to ask if and how
 programmer could do this. The technical support person he reached told
 him he was asking about a pretty heavy programming task. He cheerily
 informed Dan that he'd called the wrong number and advised Dan to call
 help for Visual Basic, not Access ($195 instead of $ 55). This
 technical support person was extraordinarily helpful in getting Dan
his
 refund. End of Call Three.

 Stymied by our responses from Microsoft, we decided to try another
 service provider, the Psychic Friends Network. There are several
 noticeable differences between Microsoft and the Psychic Friends
 Network. Microsoft charges a flat rate per "solution," which is a
 single problem and can be handled in multiple phone calls. As
described
 above, Microsoft may or may not issue a refund of their fee if they
 fail to provide a solution for your problem. The Psychic Friends
 Network charges a per minute fee. They do not offer a refund if they
 cannot solve your problem. However, unlike Microsoft, they will not
 charge you extra if they provide more than one solution per call.

 We decided to test the Psychic Friends Network by asking them the same
 questions that we had asked Microsoft Technical Support. We called
them
 and were quickly connected with Ray, who was very courteous and
 helpful. Like Microsoft Bob, Ray quickly informed us that he wasn't
 fully up to date on the programs that we were working with, but he was
 willing to help us anyway. We started off with our first problem:
 making a connection from Microsoft Access to two different Sybase
 Servers. Ray worked hard on this problem for us. He sensed that there
 was a problem with something connecting, that something wasn't being
 fulfilled either in a sexual, spiritual or emotional way. Ray also
 identified that there was some sort of physical failure going on that
 was causing the problem." Do you mean that there's some sort of bug?"
 we asked. Ray denied that he knew about any sort of bug in the
 software. "Are you sure there's not a bug?" we asked. Ray insisted
that
 he did not know of any bug in the software, although he left open the
 possibility that there could be some bug in the software that he did
 not know about. All in all, Ray did not do much to distinguish himself
 from Microsoft Technical Support. He wasn't able to solve our problem
 for us, and he wasn't able to confirm or deny that a bug in Microsoft
 Access was causing the problem. We then asked Ray our question about
 using Visual Basic to set the axes of a chart. Ray thought hard about
 this one. Once again he had the sense that something just wasn't
 connecting, that there was some sort of physical failure that was
 causing our problem. "Could it be that it's your computer that's the
 problem?" he asked. "Is this something that happens just on your
 computer, or have you had the same problem when you've tried to do the
 same thing on other computers?" We assured Ray that we had the same
 problem on other computers, then asked again, "This physical failure
 that you're talking about, do you mean that there's some sort of bug?"
 Once again he assured us that there wasn't a bug, but that he didn't
 know how to solve our problem. "I sense there's some sort of sickness
 here, and you're just going to have to sweat it out. If you'd like,
you
 can call back tomorrow. We have a couple of guys here, Steve and Paul,
 and they 're much better with computer stuff than I am." To conclude
 our research, we asked Ray about our problem with the standard file
 dialog box." It's the same thing as the last one," he told us.
"There's
 some sort of sickness here, and you're just going to have to sweat it
 out. There is a solution,though,and you're just going to have to work
 at it until you get it."

 Co n c l u s i o n s

 In terms of technical expertise, we found that a Microsoft technician
 using Knowledge Base was about as helpful as a Psychic Friends reader
 using Tarot Cards. All in all, however, the Psychic Friends Net work
 proved to be a much friendlier organization than Microsoft Technical
 Support. While neither group was actually able to answer any of our
 technical questions, the Psychic Friends Network was much faster than
 Microsoft and much more courteous. Which organization is more
 affordable is open to question. If Microsoft does refund all three
 "solutions" fees, then they will be the far more affordable solution
 provider, having charged us no money for having given us no
assistance.
 However, if Microsoft does not refund the fees for our call regarding
 Microsoft Graph, then they will have charged us more than 120% of what
 the Psychic Friends charged, but without providing the same fast and
 courteous service that Psychic Friends provided.

 Microsoft Tech Support (800) 939-5700
 The Psychic Friends Network (900)-407-6611

Eric Bennett (http://www.pobox.com/~ericb/), Cornell Biochemistry Department

He can compress the most words into the smallest ideas of any many
I ever met. -Abraham Lincoln

provided.  Archives and inaccurate instructions are available from
http://www.pobox.com/~mph/humor/ .  Requests to [email protected].