(fwd) Microsoft Word. In a class by itself.

On 22 Jan 97 02:08:44 GMT, in alt.destroy.microsoft
[email protected] (Kevin Swan) wrote:

I love vi.  I wish we were marked on content instead of prettyness.  I
can't stand spending 15 minutes on part of a large document and then
lose
it.  I mean, I know, its only 15 minutes, and it could probably be
redone
in 10, but it won't be the same.  I've lost my train of thought now.  I
can't say it just as well a second time.  I liked what I had the first
time.

Damn Win95.  I'm sorry, Microsoft, but you can take your lame-ass kludge
of
"protected memory", your "seamless multitasking", your "foolproof
autosaves", and your "Wizards" and SHOVE IT.

Yes, I just lost 15 minutes of work.  I wasn't even doing anything
tricky.
I had exceed running with 1 xterm and a netscape session from a remote
machine, and Word95 open.  I'm typing along in Word and BOOM!  Freezes.
Solid.  I wait a while.  I can still switch between tasks, got a live
keyboard in other tasks, and the mouse works, but Word is locked solid.
CTRL+ALT+DEL confirms its not responding.  So what could I do?  I killed
it.  And lost 15 minutes.

Not a lot, I suppose, but I've been working on it for about an hour.
And I
wasted 15 minutes.  So, I wasted 1/4 of my time.  I experienced a 25%
loss
of productivity.  I AM ONLY ONE PERSON.  I would love for someone out
there
to add up all the lost productivity hours of all the poor office workers
whose IT managers have condemned them to Microsoft products.  I think it
would be enlightening, to say the least.

THIS IS NOT RARE.  This happens ALL THE TIME.  This is not the first
time
its happened to me, and I'm certainly not the only one getting screwed
over
by programs dying on me.

I cannot count how many times Word has crashed on me and lost work on
me.
I CAN count the number of times vi has, though.  Ready?  ZERO.  vi has
NEVER EVER EVER crashed on me.  I have NEVER lost ANYTHING due to any
kind
of failure or bug in vi or Linux.  The rare occasion that I *have*
received
email from Graceland was because another app choked off my CPU and
forced a
reboot, or I inadvertantly rebooted while I had a vi session open.  And
the
funniest part?  I was able to pick up RIGHT WHERE I LEFT OFF!  vi
emailed
me everything I had done before it was killed.  vi is free, people!  vi
is
small!  Yet vi is INFINITELY (this is not an expression, vi has never
crashed on me, therefore it is infinity times more reliable than Word)
more
reliable than Word.  Why is that?  MS has software engineers plugging
away
at their keyboards day and night, then produce software they sell for
hundreds of dollars.  IT CRASHES!  vi doesn't, yet its free.

I'm just pissed and ranting.  If you think I'm full of shit, well then,
have fun rebooting your Win95 box.  I'll have at least 15 minutes more
fun
in life than you.

Kev.

--
Kevin Swan						 BCSH
[email protected]		   Acadia University

--
This message comes to you as a service of the mph-humor list.  No
claims of real or perceived humor are offered.