[comp.os.linux.development.system] Re: More on problems with sendmail and 2.0.*

Somebody asked how to tell what version of sendmail a host is running,
and Erik Muller demonstrated the usual technique of telnetting to port
25 and reading the greeting message.

From: [email protected] (Russell Nelson)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: More on problems with sendmail and 2.0.*
Date: 04 Dec 1996 15:41:47 GMT

In article <[email protected]> Erik Muller <[email protected]> writes:

> You check it like this (8.7.5, here):

Cool.  You mean, if I had a shell account on your machine, I could get
root access?  That's what I like about sendmail -- it tells you
exactly which exploit to use to get root.

- --
-russ <[email protected]>    http://www.crynwr.com/~nelson
Crynwr Software sells network driver support    | PGP ok
521 Pleasant Valley Rd. | +1 315 268 1925 voice | The more corrupt the state,
Potsdam, NY 13676-3213  | +1 315 268 9201 FAX   | the more numerous the laws.

This message comes to you as a service of the mph-humor list.  No
claims of real or perceived humor are offered.
Sumbissions:  [email protected]
Information:  http://wopr.ml.org/~hunt/mph-humor.html