[alt.sysadmin.recovery] Re: Business Card Lusers

From: [email protected] (Dan Holdsworth)
Newsgroups: alt.sysadmin.recovery
Subject: Re: Business Card Lusers
Date: 14 Oct 1996 11:26:50 +0100

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (D. Joseph
Creighton) writes:
:Sean B Purdy <[email protected]> wrote:
:}Recently, the esteemed D. Joseph Creighton, [email protected], imparted:
:}
:}~ Again, I read _Brave_New_World_ and enjoyed it.  One text by Huxley that
:}~ *was* part of my high school curriculum was _Tess_of_the_D'Urbervilles_.
:}
:}Excuse me?  Ever heard of Thomas Hardy?
:
:Ooo!  Drat!  I meant Hardy.[1]

Thomas Hardy, now there's a man who got involved (posthumously) with a BOFH
(well BUFH) once.

You see, after his death, someone suggested that his heart should be buried
in a separate place to his body. This being the Victorian era, most post-mortem
examinations were carried out where the deceased had died; i.e. in their bed.
This being the case, it would have been no problem for his heart to have been
removed by a country doctor.

However, his heart was buried in a container about the size of an old biscuit
tin, i.e. about 1 foot on a side. The reason for this is rather gruesome...

You see, the heart was put in a chapel prior to its burial. Unfortunately,
when an undertaker and a mourner arrived in this chapel, they found a large
black cat sitting on the table next to where the heart had been, licking it's
whiskers, and looking rather satisfied.

The records of what happened next record that:
"The undertaker acted with commendable speed and decorum, instantly seizing
the cat and wringing it's neck. It was then interred in a hastily-procured
metal box; thus Thomas Hardy's heart does indeed lie in this churchyard".

Truly a Bastard Undertaker From Hell, although, in similar circumstances,
what else could you have done?

       *  *		It's:   	"SPLAT - MY CAT!"
     -//-//-_
   +>\        --__	Slower than a speeding Landrover 110.   Much slower.
   +>/       _------__  Mortally slower, one might say.    Rest in Pieces.
     -\\-\\--		[email protected]  (Dan Holdsworth)
       *  *
Adverts and junkmail will be read for $500 per item; sending such email to
me constitutes agreement to pay for the priviledge of my attention.