Tradition

Kids these days have a strange idea of "traditional."  From "The
California Tech," Caltech's undergraduate newspaper:

> ASCIT Newsgroup Nears Completion

> The newsgroup would operate off donut.caltech.edu, ASCIT's web site.
> The Donut Development Team . . . first tossed around planes to manage
> it via genuine NNTP protocol [sic] -- the back-end powering most of
> the Internet's so-caled "newsgroups" -- but ultimately decided on a
> more traditional Web-based discussion board.

> The team is now in the meticulous process of scripting the newsgroup's
> code base, a task made more difficult by the team's refusal to use and
> adapt freely available packaged scripts.  Though tedious, ground-up
> coding has long been the Donut developers' trademark.

Need I point out that we already have a perfectly working caltech.*
hierarchy on news.caltech.edu?  Sigh.

--
Matthew Hunt <[email protected]> * Clearly there are more things in the
http://www.pobox.com/~mph/           * heavens than anyone anticipated. -enp