[[email protected]: [BSDnet] Code Red/Nimda job security]

----- Forwarded message from Ulf Zimmermann <[email protected]> -----

From: Ulf Zimmermann <[email protected]>
To: [email protected]
Subject: [BSDnet] Code Red/Nimda job security
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2001 12:39:52 -0700

>From a post on Userfriendly.org:

Subject: What you don't realize is...

... that you are losing job security by the minute :)

On my platforms team, there are 3 Unix/Linus guys and NINE NT/W2K guys.
Every on-call meeting is always the same:

"Any Unix issues?"
"None"
"Any NT issues?"
"Well...." and we spend the rest of the 2 hour meeting discussing the issues.

And yet, more and more developers are putting code on W2K/XP and we are
getting our Unix budget cut such that one of our guys is having to leave and
we're getting 2 more W2K folks :)

I LOVE Microsoft!!! The Massive Microsoft Marketing Machine keeps cranking
out more and more reasons for me to make money! Thanks to XP, I'm putting
a new wing on my house :)

We found a Unix server that we forgot we had, sitting in a closet, servicing
NFS shares. It has been up for over 4 years without any downtime, reboots,
repairs or replacement. An old HP box. We're lucky if we can keep W2K up for
a month with the way it leaks memory.

*grin*

CodeRed and Nimda almost tripled my NT team's salary as we put in over 100
hours that week in overtime trying to close holes and keep our factory
running. They love NT too :)

Your, Mac.

Time to learn more about Win2K admin and stuff and take one of those
Network admin jobs.

--
Regards, Ulf.