Priceless.

Newsgroups: rec.humor.funny
Subject: Mastercard threatens rec.humor.funny over satire
From: [email protected] (Brad Templeton)
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 19:30:00 PDT

Two years ago, rec.humor.funny published a sick satire of the Mastercard
"Priceless" ads (There are some things money can't buy, for everything
else there's Mastercard) based around the Columbine tragedy.  I won't repeat
it here, since it was pretty sick and offensive, though you can find it
on the web site at:

	http://www.netfunny.com/rhf/jokes/99/Apr/columbine.html

Today we received a "cease and desist" letter from Mastercard's lawyers
demanding that the parody be removed from our web site, falsely claiming
it violates their trademarks and copyrights, in spite of the well
established rules protecting satire and parody from such attacks.

The letter can be found at

	http://www.netfunny.com/rhf/price.html

Here, however, is my response...

	Web site hosting for anybody:		$10/month and up

	Threatening letters to people who satirize you, hoping
	they won't know the law:		$500

	Reputation as giant corporation required to intimidate
	small publishers:			$billions

	Supreme court decisions protecting parody and
	satire from accusations of copyright and
	trademark infringement...  		Priceless

	There are some rights money can't buy.  For everything
	else, there's Mastercard's lawyers.

--
Selected by Jim Griffith.  MAIL your joke to [email protected].

Join and contribute to the Electronic Frontier Foundation today.

This joke's link: http://www.netfunny.com/rhf/jokes/01/Apr/mcrhf.html

provided.  Archives and instructions are available from
<http://www.pobox.com/~mph/humor/>.