Big brother (fwd)

----- Forwarded message from Athey, Brian -----

From: "Athey, Brian" <[email protected]>
To: "'[email protected]'" <[email protected]>
Subject: Big brother
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 1998 08:44:06 -0500

Is there any truth to the below statement

NEW YORK /AP/ 18JULY1998  THE FEDERAL BUREAU OF INVESTIGATION has asked
a senate committee to add language to a justice department
appropriations bill to require a number of high-tech companies,
including Microsoft Corporation, to provide law enforcement personnel
with real-time access to the data that flows into and out of personal
computers connected to the Internet. Microsoft announced that it would
fully support the bill, including the FBI provisions, in exchange for a
permanent end to the government's antitrust litigation against the
company as well as the ability for Microsoft to also have access to the
Internet data. The government agreed. "It's a good deal for America,"
says Attorney General Janet Reno, "and we have Microsoft's promise that
they will use the data only to improve their products, which will
benefit every consumer."  [That makes me laugh]

The bill, which would go into effect next Friday, would enable law
enforcement (and Microsoft) to essentially "tap at will" any internet
connection in the United States, if not the world. Bureau experts claim
the tapping would slow down the average user's Internet connection "by
only 20 per cent," which they believe will be "more than acceptable"
considering the increase in criminal prosecution which will result from
the tapping.

Microsoft explained that it would modify every copy of  Windows 95, NT,
and Windows 98, automatically without customer intervention, such that
every byte of data sent or received by the computer would be copied and
sent to the FBI's central clearinghouse for inspection followed by
approval or prosecution. "We've been anticipating this move for years,
so the mechanisms in our operating systems have been in place since 1994
for this eventuality," said Bill Gates of Microsoft.

				Thanks
				Brian L. Athey

__________________The ISP-TECH Discussion List___________________
To Remove, Send an Email To:  mailto:[email protected]
To Join,   Send an Email To:  mailto:[email protected]

URGENT: QoS Industry Forum - formation meeting at iBAND on Nov 16.
Sign-up for the only, in-depth, technical conference on Internet
bandwidth management technologies - http://www.stardust.com/iband/

----- End of forwarded message from Athey, Brian -----

----- End forwarded message -----
--
Gregory S. Sutter                    Computing is a terminal addiction.
mailto:[email protected]